Many managed care companies provide private practice opportunities for licensed and certified clinical social workers to provide mental health services to their members on a contractual basis. Man-aged care companies may credential the social workers or hire credentialing agencies to certify the providers. Conditions that managed care companies may seek from clinical social work applicants include:
- A clinical license in the state in which they practice.
- Malpractice insurance.
- Three to five years of post-license experience. (Some managed care companies require a minimum of 3,000 hours of post-master’s experience in a clinical setting.)
- An active clinical practice.
Contact the Provider Relations Division of the managed care company of your choice and request an application to become a member of its provider panel in your area. It may take 60 days or more for your application to be reviewed after it is submitted. If the managed care company is not accepting new applicants, call the company back periodically to check its recruitment status, because changes can occur frequently in the managed care industry.
Factors that can attract attention to your managed care provider application include:
- Flexible office hours
- A specialty such as geriatrics, child and adolescent services, and workplace services
- A concise resume
- Additional certifications
- Special training such as EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) and biofeedback
To help you get started in your search for available provider panels, a current list of major managed care companies that offer behavioral health care in Massachusetts are listed under “Contact Information for HMOs/Managed Care Companies (MCOs) and Insurance Companies.”
Clinical / Billing Codes